My blog experience has been quite limited, but at least not non-existent. In the past, I have really only read others’ blogs. I had a friend who was living in Chicago while her husband was finishing up his post-graduate work. She used her blog was to stay connected with friends and family while they were gone. A friend who has a lot of interesting kid-stories writes another blog that I enjoy reading. I have also read about people’s life changes and struggles such as infertility and weight loss. As far as I can recall, I do not think that I have ever responded to any posts other than clicking the “LIKE” button when their blogs are connected with Facebook.
Recently, I’ve thought about blogging to share my weight loss successes and struggles, but I decided against it because I did not really want to put myself out there. I guess that’s something I’m doing for a healthier me, not the recognition.
My thoughts about having a future blog.
Ideas about different blogs I could incorporate in my life keep running through my mind. I think I’ve narrowed it down to two blogs I’d like to try during this school year.
First, I’d like to slowly start a teacher blog highlighting some of the activities we do in my classroom that I think are special and unique. I would like to have this be similar to Jodi Southard’s blog at http://fun-in-first.blogspot.com/search/label/Vistaprint. (I would definitely stay away from the ads though.) My goal is to start with the current Science unit I’m teaching on Apples.
The other way I would like to use blogs in my classroom this year is in connection with the story Flat Stanley by Jeff Brown. After reading the story, I think it would be neat for the students to retell the story’s main details in a blog (possibly a group project). Then the students will each be creating “Flat Stanley Selves” to send to people. I think the students would really enjoy blogging about their “trips”. They could add demographic details about where “they went” and even add pictures if some were sent back with their “Flat Selves”. The students could even list the blog site in the letters they send along with their “Flat Selves” and the recipients could blog while the flat students are away. It sounds confusing, I know, but it also sounds quite exciting. I was not planning on introducing my Flat Stanley project until late winter or early spring, so I’ll have plenty of time to finalize my thoughts and familiarize myself better with blogs.
Bring on the blogs!!!
No comments:
Post a Comment